Hadley-Luzerne student removed from in-person school after alleged online threat

Dorothy S. Bass

[ad_1]

A student at Hadley-Luzerne schools has been removed from in-person school for the rest of the school year after allegedly posting “a threat on social media referencing plans to do harm when school resumes on Tuesday,” according to a letter posted Sunday by Superintendent Beecher Baker.

“Please know that we take all threats seriously, especially in light of the recent tragedy in Uvalde, Texas,” Baker wrote, referencing the mass shooting at an elementary school last week in which 19 children and two teachers were killed.

Baker wrote that the district has been in contact with the Saratoga and Warren County sheriffs’ offices, “who will take appropriate action with the individual.” The school district, which has about 700 students and sits on the edge of the Adirondacks, also said there will be an increased police presence when school resumes on Tuesday, as well as throughout the rest of the week.

The letter did not say the age of the student who made the alleged threat, or if it specifically mentioned one of the district’s two schools.

“We would like to thank the people who ‘saw something and said something,” Baker wrote. “It is important that we all work together as a community to help everyone feel safe. Please continue to report concerns to school administration.”


Voorheesville schools on Friday also announced an alleged threat made from one student to another at the middle school Wednesday.

“We commend the students and community who came forward with information about a threat that was made from one student towards another student that led to a student arrest,” Voorheesville Superintendent Frank Macri said in a letter to the district.  The Albany County Sheriff’s Office handled the case. WNYT reported that an 11-year-old was charged with making a terroristic threat for threatening that he would get guns from his home and kill the other student.

“At no time during the day was there an immediate danger to the students,” Macri said.

 

[ad_2]

Source link

Next Post

Boston Public Schools administrator says she was pushed out for raising concerns over how English learners are taught

[ad_1] The dispute threatens to bring scrutiny of the district from the US Department of Justice, which oversees a legal arrangement that necessitates BPS to provide a particular sum of specialized expert services by experienced educators. Narang Kapur has since sent a letter to Justice Office officials alleging the district […]

You May Like